Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Sorrel(My Favorite Drink, continued...)



So, I finally got around to making some sorrel. Well, mom gave me a refresher course on the fine art of sorrel brewing. Sorrel is actually a member of the hibiscus family, and it is used in red zinger tea by a well known tea company as well. So technically, sorrel can be classified as a "tea." I can't express how much I love sorrel but let's just say, I usually can't wait until christmas before I have to get my sorrel "fix." I mean, how can one resist the tempting siren's call of that familiar crimson nectar that most trini's consume during christmas time?!? I for one cannot...as a matter of fact, as I type this, I have a nice cold glass within arms length, LOL! Anyways, I am posting the recipe for my mom's sorrel for you guys to try your hand at. You will first need to brew what I call the concentrate. Once you have made that, you can dilute with additional water in order to cut down on some of the sweetness(before doing so, see my side note below). Enjoy.



Note:


If the sorrel, you end up with is a bit on the sweet side, that is ok. because the reason we brew it a bit sweet is because the ice you put in the glass will weaken it's potency significantly. Another thing to keep in mind is, the longer you let your freshly brewed sorrel sit, the more potent it will become. in other words, the flavor's will be much more pronounced. It is a two-part process(but a simple one, so don't be alarmed y'all).

.::Part one::.


Sorrel Concentrate:





  • 8 qts. water
  • 4 1/2 oz. Sorrel, dried
  • 2 tbs. cloves
  • 4 cinnamon sticks(if long) or 8 cinnamon sticks(if shorter)






.::Part Two::.


Additional Flavorings(when preparing to serve):





  • 1 tsp. Angostura Bitters
  • 2 cups. Sugar








Method of preparation:



  1. Strain off sorrel, cloves and cinnamon sticks until you are left with approximately 8 cups of sorrel "concentrate"
  2. Next, add sugar and angostura bitters to "season" your sorrel.
  3. Finally, sample and adjust/dilute according to your taste preference.





Yield: 2 quart pitcher.








Note#2:





you will have, sorrel concentrate left over to make additional pitchers as you need them.

1 comment:

hifi said...

hey thanks for the sorrel help...I recently bought sorrel tea and just love it....so now I can't wait to bring the real thing to my family at christmas...thanks a heap!