Monday, December 15, 2008

Trini-Style Split Pea Soup...


Well, I have to clear up something here first. This version is not 100% trini-style split pea soup but it is indeed, TASTY!!! Hahaha, anyways, with that aired out let's get started.

I remember the first time my mom made split pea soup for us and how I swore I would hate it just due to the name "pea" being included in it's title alone. Man, was I about to be proven very wrong. So I took that first bite of that warm, silky, yellow-colored soup and I was blown away as to how damn good it was...I must have devoured that first bowl within 5 minutes flat, hahahaha!!!!! And it didn't stop there, my mom made dumplings that she put in the soup, they were dense yet slightly chewy(in a good way) with a hint of sweetness that balanced out the entire thing. I love those dumplings sooo much that I used to fish them out of the pot and try to add as many to my bowl as I could. I had just met my newest culinary addiction and loved every second of it.

Split Pea Soup(Rough Draft):
4 strips bacon, minced
1 medium onion, diced(about 1 1/4 cups)
1 carrot,diced(about 1/3 cup)
1 celery stalk,diced(about 1/2 cup)
1/3 cup chives, minced
8 cups chicken broth
2 yellow or white potatoes
1 lb. split peas yellow(about 3 cups,you can substitute with green or lentils)
1 smoked ham hock( or salt pig tail)
6-8 ears of corn, cut in half
1 bay leaf
2 garlic cloves
salt, to taste
freshly ground black pepper, to taste


(Basic pureed soup method)
Cook the aromatic vegetables in the rendered fat.
Add the liquid and long cooking ingredients; bring to a simmer.
Add additional ingredients at the appropriate time and simmer until all ingredients are very tender.
Puree the soup and adjust the consistency and seasoning.

Method:
cook bacon on medium-high until fat is rendered and bacon is cooked through. Next, add the carrot, celery, chives and onion to the bacon fat and cook on medium-low until the onion is translucent. Now add the split peas and if using, smoked ham hock. Bring to a boil, stir to incorporate then drop to medium-low heat and simmer, stirring occasionally until peas are softened(about 1 1/2 to 2 hours).When ham hock is finished cooking, remove and dice meat. Strain the other solids through sieve, reserving the liquid. Puree the solids, return to pot with enough of the reserved liquid to achieve a thick but smooth consistency. Blend well. Garnish with minced chives(if you have any left over).

*Note: If you wish to give the soup more body but without the potatoes, take a can of corn and pour the entire thing(water and all)into a bowl and puree with an immersion blender or alternately, use a blender or food processor. Once pureed add to the soup.


Dumplings:
2 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp sugar
3/4 to 1 cup of ice cold water

Method:
Place all ingredients in a mixing bowl. Slowly add all water and knead to a stiff dough. Divide dumpling dough
into two pieces. Roll each piece into a long rope about 12 inches long. Cut into two-inch lengths and drop into boiling soup or pot of boiling water. boil for 4 minutes. Serves six to eight.


Total yield:
8 servings.

No comments: